Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Break in

Well updates for the week are:

Friday March 21st is the Namibian Independence Day, and I'll be in Swakopmund on the coast at the beach. This is actually one of two spring breaks I've ever been on where I went to the beach in a foreign country (the other time I was in Panama over Easter Break when I was studying in Costa Rica). Ironic, huh.

In other news, my house was broken into. Here's a bizarre mystery for you.
Background to the case: A few weeks ago I purchased two new locks for my doors because it was a little wierd that all the locks in the building used the same keys. I managed to install the lock on the front door, but hadn't gotten around to installing the lock in the back door. I had some difficulty closing the door when I put the metal piece back on the doorframe, so I had left it off. It left a small gap on the inside between the door and the doorframe. This lock was harder to pick than the previous lock. I hid the extra keys to this lock in my bathroom behind some bottles of lotion.
Later, I had some kids come and clean my house to "pay me back" for stealing some of the materials I gave them. They cleaned the bathroom and found the keys, but put them back. Later, I hid the keys in my glasses case I kept in the bathroom. From what I recall all the keys were there when I put them in my glasses case.

On Monday I came home and see that my front door is open about 5 inches and the lock is unlocked. The door handle is entirely broken off, I mean snapped in two. There was no damage to the door frame.
I go inside to see if anything is missing, and nothing was. I mean nothing. Not food, not any clothes or electronics. And of course it happened on one of the few days I forgot to lock up my computer. So I was happy nothing was missing.

We went to the police at my boss's bidding and filed a report. They would give the case to a seargent who was currently in Windhoek.
That night I put that metal piece back on the door frame and left off the top screw so that the door could close.

Today, I went to school as usual. I came home and nothing had changed, so the theif did not come back. Later some people from Peace Corps came and repaired my lock. Then I discovered that in the glasses case there was only one key instead of two. So we changed the lock out to the one I was going to put on the back door. Peace Corps is going to buy me locks for my burglar bars that currently don't lock. Then, the police sargeant comes from Windhoek and wants to fingerprint the lock and handle that already 8 million people have touched just today. I give it to him. Bizarre.

So what happened then?
How exactly did they break in?
1. The theif pushed in the door--perhaps I made it easier because I had not put that one metal piece back on. (But there is no damage at all to the door frame or lock?)
2. The theif had a key, but wanted to make it look like a break in. (Then, there's no excuse to why they didn't steal anything?)
3. Maybe they picked the lock. (But why did they choose that lock to pick when there is an easier lock to pick in the back of the house, and it is more hidden from view?)

Why didn't they steal anything?
1. Maybe they just wanted to look around? (Why go to the effort to break in? or why 'pretend' to break in when I wouldn't have known the difference if they had come in?)
2. Maybe there was something in particular they wanted to steal, and I didn't have it, or they couldn't find it (i.e. meat, mealie meal, cash?)
3. Maybe they were scared off by someone coming.

Really this is a big illogical mystery to me. Any detectives out there?

No comments: